I am so lucky to be able to have the most amazing women surrounding me at the shop. Julie, @jhatterathome is one of the girls I love. She has great style and her home is absolutely STUNNING! LOVE IT!
Julie had a dresser that she painted using Olde Barn Milk Paint in Stoneware. I think this was her second time using Milk Paint, first time using OBMP. As she was describing the process she painted the dresser I realized that she added way too much Bonding Creme! The whole bottle!! Her paint ended up with some thick and clumpy and that just wasn't working for her. The recommended mixture is equal parts Bonding Creme to mixed Milk Paint. You can add less if you want to try to control the amount of chipping you will use. I was really excited when Julie asked if I'd help her with her dresser because I knew we'd end up with something amazing even more amazing and beautiful than what was going on before.
First Julie and I sanded the sides to remove the thick chipping paint that she did not care for. Then I mixed Wedgewood with Some Bonding Creme to ensure that we'd get some adhesion to the sides since it had chipped so much before and we had only removed a portion of the paint that was there.
I then moved on and started to remove the hardware, since she had previously painted this and had it at the shop for sale it was already put back together! I couldn't wait to get Wedgewood over these amazing details on the drawer fronts!! I knew that the paint would chip because Julie had sealed the entire piece with our Clear Beeswax Polish a few weeks before. I wasn't sure how much chipping would happen because I usually only use the Beeswax as a resist. I apply it wherever I want chipping to happen and paint over it right away. I was pretty nervous to be honest since this was not my own piece of furniture... What if ALL the paint chipped!!!
As the paint started to dry I saw that quite a bit of paint was chipping off the drawers, (almost all of it!) Julie was super happy and supportive, but I was really worried that it was chipping too much. Because of Julie's positive attitude I just went with what was happening and started to enjoy myself (thanks to wine and no kids!)
Once the final coat of paint was dry I finally I got to get my handy scraper "Troy". I literally can not fathom distressing without Troy's help! I'll get a pic of him in my next post.
I always remove chips using Troy to gently scrape them off and add distressing as I go. I like to Gently scrape the edges and wherever there are natural dings and chips in the wood. This to me really brings the natural and authentic aging to painted antiques. I never want to really hide ALL of the wear and years of use off antiques. It adds to their "story".
So here she is all finished up and set up at the shop. I really love the authentic chippy look and layers that this dresser has. It's bright and yet still tells a story of it's age and wear. I can't help but wonder where this dresser has been, what stories it has to tell and where it will end up!
I hope you've enjoyed reading this post, it's been a while since I shared a furniture tutorial!